First Lines Friday is a bookish meme hosted by Literary Marie. I encourage all of my fellow book bloggers and bookhearts to play along. First lines of a book are what grab a reader's interest. It is our first impression. Oftentimes, it makes you go hmmm. It sets the tone for the remainder of the book.
Click the title/author for my previously published review of the books featured in my Top 10 First Lines of 2017.
10. "This being human is a Guest House. Every morning a new arrival. A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor." ~ Lover by Anna Raverat
9. "The older woman sipped her coffee. 'I have thought and thought about everything about Emmett Till, the killing and the trial, telling who did what to who,' she said." ~ The Blood of Emmett Till by Timothy B. Tyson
8. "About 2% of the population suffers from some form of bipolar disorder." ~ Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families by Francis Mark Mondimore, M.D.
7. "I looked down the barrel of my Glock 19 service weapon." ~ Haunted by James Patterson & James O. Born
6. "This story began, as all writing must, in failure." ~ We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates
5. "This fairy tale begins in 1968 during a garbage strike." ~ The Changeling by Victor LaValle
4. "'Unreliable witness': that was the phrase a member of the Special Committee in the Lower House of the United States Congress who was investigating the assassination of John F. Kennedy used to discredit me when I gave testimony in 1978 under the protection of an order for immunity from prosecution. I was a witness to events, and more. I was close to the people and places that marked a turning point in political life in the second half of the twentieth century." ~ Marita: The Spy Who Loved Castro by Marita Lorenz
3. "My life began with one of the biggest lies men tell women: I'll pull out, I promise." ~ I Can't Make This Up: Life Lessons by Kevin Hart
2. "Some children are just born bad, plain and simple." ~ Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson
1. "Please make a list of every possession you consider essential to your life." ~ The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney
You may also be interested in:
Top 5 Series of 2017
Top 10 Books of 2017
Top 10 Book Covers of 2017
Reading Challenges of 2017
My Year in Books
My Year in Blogmoir
My Year in Blogmoir