First Lines Friday is a bookish meme hosted by Literary Marie of Precision Reviews. I encourage all of my fellow book bloggers and bookhearts to play along.
- Grab your current read(s).
- Share the first line(s).
- Include the title and author.
13. "Honest Toddler. Not potty trained, not trying." ~ The Honest Toddler by Bunmi Laditan
12. "I sat in the back pew and watched the only woman I would ever love marry another man." ~ Six Years by Harlan Coben
11. "They found Seth Hubbard in the general area where he had promised to be, though not exactly in the condition expected. He was at the end of a rope, six feet off the ground and twisting slightly in the wind." ~ Sycamore Row by John Grisham
10. "Delicious political intrigue, shocking twists, oh-so-chic clothes, and the hottest White House affair since Marilyn sang for JFK—That's why viewers are electing Scandal their new TV (and Twitter) obsession." ~ Crazy in Love with Scandal in Entertainment Weekly
9. "Young people! With their hurrying and their worrying and their wanting all the answers now." ~ Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
8. "I acted hateful to Dorrie the first time we met, a decade or so ago. A person gets up in years and she forgets to use her filters. Or she's beyond caring." ~ Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler
7. "The bedroom is strange. Unfamiliar. I don't know where I am, how I came to be here. I don't know how I'm going to get home." ~ Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
6. "Two dead men changed the course of my life that fall. One of them I knew and the other I'd never laid eyes on until I saw him in the morgue." ~ W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton
5. "Billie's orgasm tore through her like a lightning bolt." ~ Destiny's Surrender by Beverly Jenkins
4. "Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death." ~ The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
3. "I held his lingam, suckled the part called the meatus. The glans. Licked his foreskin." ~ Decadence by Eric Jerome Dickey
2. "Well, I guess what the niggers is supposed to be doing is putting themselves in the path of that old sweet chariot and have it swing down and carry us home." ~ Jimmy's Blues and Other Poems by James Baldwin
1. "Frequently, I have been asked how I got to be this way. How did I, born black in a white country, poor in a society where wealth is adored and sought after at all costs, female in an environment where only large ships and some engines are described favorably by using the female pronoun—how did I get to be Maya Angelou?" ~ Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou
Post a Comment