'Twas the nights before New Year's when I finally chose the best fiction of 2020. You would think I had more time to read during a pandemic with stay-at-home orders. Oh, but it was the complete opposite. I could not focus on plots, my eyes would glaze over a page and it would take days (sometimes weeks) to finish just one book. But despite The RONA Brain, the books below allowed me to momentarily escape the real world and all share common themes: CULTURE and FAMILY. Find your next favorite!
Please note this list is purely my opinion. It is not influenced by social media, authors, other readers, my mama or yours, fellow reviewers or publishers that may have provided advance copies in exchange for my honest review. I would spend my hard-earned coin on all eleven (11) of the books listed below. Click the title for my previously published reviews.
1. Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
2. An Untamed State by Roxane Gay
3. American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
4. Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid
5. This is My America by Kim Johnson
6. The Wide Circumference of Love by Marita Golden
7. The Wives by Tarryn Fisher
8. Heart Bones by Colleen Hoover
9. Nutshell by Ian McEwan
10. The Business of Lovers by Eric Jerome Dickey
10 + 1. Darling Rose Gold by Stephanie Wrobel