|*The Spirit of Detroit wearing a Detroit Lions jersey hand-sewn by my Chickadee.|
Me: Chickadee, we are jinxed. It is just not meant for us to visit New Orleans. First Hurricane Katrina and now Harvey, Irma and 'nem.
Chickadee: I know! I was looking forward to spending our birthdays at a nice bed-and-breakfast in NOLA and exploring the bayou.
Me: Welp, let's make the most of our staycation then. Let's get to know our hometown Detroit.
And so we are! During this entire week, Chickadee (what I affectionately call my mama) and I are exploring well-known sites and historical places in The D. We dress comfortably and act like tourists in our own city for a full week. See our list below of spots/events.
- DETROIT movie about 1967 riots
- Good 'ole backyard bonfire party
- Detroit Tigers vs. White Sox 9-0
- Q-Line and People Mover
- Underground Railroad Experience at the First Congregational Church of Detroit
- Museum Tours: Motown Museum, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit Historical Museum, Charles H. Wright African American Museum
- Detroit Public Library
- Detroit Brewery
- David Whitney Building
- The Whitney
- New Center
- RenCen & COBO Hall
- Greenfield Village
- Belle Isle (Remember the Giant Slide?!)
- Lafayette Coney Island vs. American Coney Island
- Breakfast at The Clique
- Connie & Barbara's Soul Food (meals served w/Kool-Aid)
- Eleanor & Edsel Ford House Tour
- Detroit Riverwalk
- Chene Park
- UniverSoul Circus
- Detroit Jazz Cafe
- Bakers Lounge
- The Eastern Market