First Lines Friday is a bookish meme hosted by Literary Marie of Precision Reviews. I encourage all of my fellow book bloggers and bookhearts to play along.
- Grab your current read(s).
- Share the first line(s).
- Include the title and author.
Click the title for my previously published review or the Goodreads summary* of the books featured in my Top 14 First Lines of 2014.
12. "The statutory definition of homicide is the 'unlawful killing of one human being by another.'" ~ K is for Killer by Sue Grafton
11. "International baggage claim in the Brussels airport was large and airy, with multiple carousels circling endlessly. I scurried from one to another, desperately trying to find my black suitcase. Because it was stuffed with drug money, I was more concerned than one might normally be about lost luggage." ~ Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman
10. "I don't mean to bitch, but in the future I intend to hesitate before I do a favor for the friend of a friend." ~ L is for Lawless by Sue Grafton
9. "What I really want to know is how the bastards did it." ~ The Medea Complex by Rachel Florence Roberts
8. "Lydia is dead. But they don't know this yet." ~ Everything I Never Told You* by Celeste Ng
7. "I inspected the knife in my hand." ~ Luckiest Girl Alive* by Jessica Knoll
6. "I gaze out the window at thousands of snowflakes fluttering to the ground. I press my face against the pane, aching for freedom. But it isn't a thin layer of glass that's blocking me from the outside, it's the truth." ~ Unravel by Calia Read
5. "Migraine is a nervous system disorder that affects approximately 15% of the global population. The seriousness of this illness can range from a mild affliction to a completely debilitating condition." ~ The Migraine Mafia by Maia Sepp
4. "Welcome to How to be Black, a book I hope will serve as a thrust of blackness in your general direction. First, let's get the disclaimer out of the way. This book is not 'How to Become a Black Person If You Are Not Already Black.' You cannot use this book as a magic potion." ~ How to Be Black by Baratunde Thurston
3. "Today I'm five. I was four last night going to sleep in Wardrobe, but when I wake up in Bed in the dark I'm changed to five, abracadabra. Before that I was three, then two, then one, then zero. 'Was I minus numbers?'" ~ Room by Emma Donoghue
2. "This is a story about a girl that went through a life changing experience known as Thyroid Cancer. It's not one of those dramatic 'based on a true story' cancer things, especially since Thyroid Cancer is not as bad as cancer. It's a story about me, Esther Earl, having a sickness that's pretty scary." ~ This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl with Lori and Wayne Earl
1. "Gunfire. Screams. Four people dead within seconds.Dozen wounded. Dead bodyguards. Dead bank guard. Dead politician. Collateral damage." ~ A Wanted Woman* by Eric Jerome Dickey